Sunday, February 28, 2010

Cheese Grits

Let me first tell you ... anyone who has never had grits... PLEASE let this be your first recipe in trying them! These are simply DIVINE and it's so versatile... you can use them at breakfast or dinner! I know some of my friends have never had grits and thought they were supposed to be served sweetened.... although SOME people may like them that way, I assure you... Grits are a salty mash that for breakfast is awesome mixed with eggs and bacon and toast, and dinner, along side crab cakes or some other protein. This recipe calls for the brand Wade's Mill Stone Ground Grits... but regular old fashioned (slow cooking) grits work just as well.

Cheese Grits

1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 tsp salt
1 cup grits (they NEED to be the slow cooking, old fashioned kind. NOT the quick cooking stuff)
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 cup warm heavy cream
3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I'm a cheese lover, so obviously I use more... and it HAS to be sharp, in order to get the cheese taste. Mild cheddar is just that... too mild. Using the cheddar you grate yourself tastes MUCH better in this recipe)
4 TBSP unsalted butter
1 dash hot pepper sauce (tabasco) optional
1 pinch nutmeg, optional (I didn't add this)

In a medium saucepan, combine boiling water and salt over high heat. Combine grits and cold water and then slowly add to boiling salted water, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and cook, stirring every 3-4 minutes, for 20 minutes.
Add cream, cheese and butter, continue cooking until grits reach desired consistency. Season with hot pepper sauce and nutmeg, if desired.

You can look on the package of grits and change the liquid measurements according to the directions for 4 servings if you want to, and follow the rest of the recipe for the cream and cheese. I've done it both ways and if I'm remembering correctly, I don't think there was much difference in the measurements. Combining the grits with the cold water before adding them to the boiling water is what prevents lumps and keeps the mixture from spitting and burning you, which it will usually do if you add grits straight to the boiling water.

1 comment:

C said...

I have a grits casserole recipe I should send you. It's amazing. I love grits. Been eating them since before I could eat solid food. Mmmm...