Sunday, February 28, 2010

Meatloaf!

I wanted meatloaf one night... but didn't have time to wait for an hour for it to cook in the oven, so I combined a couple recipes to make a meatloaf on the stove. It turned out really well, I think. So in this one, I'm using Paula Deen's recipe for old fashioned meatloaf, and will include instructions for you to cook it in a skillet if you're pressed for time. :)

Basic Meatloaf

1 lb ground beef - I used 1 1/2 lbs
1 1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped bell pepper - I HATE bell peppers, so I didn't use them
1 egg, lightly beaten
8 ounces canned diced tomatoes (without juice)
1/2 cup quick-cooking oats

Topping:
1/3 cup ketchup
2 TBSP brown sugar
1 TBSP prepared mustard - I actually used the powdered mustard, I think it's like a tsp powdered mustard for a TBSP prepared mustard?
Worchestershire sauce.... cause no sauce is complete without it. Use how much you want.
Minced garlic
A dash of soy sauce

Mix all the meatloaf ingredients together. If you're going to bake it in the oven, preheat oven to 375 and shape into a loaf, then put in a baking dish. If you're going to cook it in a skillet, shape into 2 loaves.
Baking - cover with topping and bake for 1 hour
Skillet - place the 2 loafs in a big skillet on medium high heat. Brown the loaves in the hot skillet, then reduce heat to medium and cover with a lid. Simmer for 25 minutes or until meat is cooked through. (I recommend turning at least half way through) Spoon fat from the skillet, then pour topping over loaves. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes or so.



And just because I LOVE Alton Brown, here's his recipe for Meatloaf. MMMMMMM

No comments: